1. Who we are
Electric Cars Trader is a UK automotive marketplace for just electric and plug in hybrid vehicles, that offers a vehicle buying and selling process. To provide you with this, we need to collect and process information about you.
- the Electric Cars Trader website at www.electriccarstrader.co.uk (the “Website”)
- social media or official Electric Cars Trader content on other websites;
- our mobile devices and Applications (“Apps”)
It also relates to our use of any personal information you provide to us by phone, SMS, email, in letters and other correspondence and in person.
For the purposes of this Policy, the data controller is Electric Cars Trader.
Our Privacy Promise
Electric Cars Trader (“Electric Cars Trader”, “we“, “us“, “our“) is committed to protecting your personal information, being transparent about the data we hold and wherever possible giving you control over how we use it.
It’s important that you read this policy to understand the information we may hold about you, how we use it and how you can access or update your information, modify your preferences or request deletion of your personal data.
- What information Electric Cars Trader collects about you;
- How Electric Cars Trader collects and uses information about you;
- Whether Electric Cars Trader discloses your details to anyone else;
- The choices available to you regarding the personal information you provide to us;
- When and how your data may be shared with third parties.
Amendments and updates to this Policy may be made from time to time. Any revisions will be posted on this page so you will always be aware of the information we collect. Please review this page regularly so that you are aware of any changes.
We use your information in line with all applicable laws and regulations concerning the protection of personal information from time to time in force, including the Data Protection Act 1998, the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 and 2011 and the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR), and including any amendments or updates to these and any equivalent or successor applicable laws and regulations.
2. Information collected and how we use it
Electric Cars Trader collects the following information:
Information you provide when you place an advertisement on the Website
As part of the advert placement process on the Website, we collect your name, telephone number, email address and postcode, as well as details of the vehicle you wish to sell and your IP address.
- We use your name and email address to register your account and place your advert, confirm that your advert has been published and send you service communications about how to access and manage your account and your advert. You can access your profile area at any time to update your details and can also change your options regarding marketing communications from Electric Cars Trader and/or third parties that you have selected in this area. We will only use your information for marketing purposes where you have given us specific consent.
- We use your postcode to provide a positioning of the vehicle you advertise within our database, this allows potential buyers to locate vehicles for sale within a set radius of their chosen location.
- Vehicle Registration Numbers are required to place an advert on the Website for regulatory and security purposes. We will not disclose the Vehicle Registration Number to any person carrying out vehicle searches on the Website. However, if the Vehicle Registration Number is displayed in photographs within your advert then these details may be visible to Website visitors who may use them without your authorisation.
- If your advert expires we will contact you via email to give you the option to rebook your advert.
- We may also use the information you provide for internal business records and purposes, including to analyse and develop our products and services and the Website.
Information you provide when you browse or use services on the Website
You will need to supply your postcode in order to use our vehicle search facility. We will use this to present adverts matching your search criteria with the distance from your selected location.
To create an account or use certain additional services, we will collect your email address and your chosen password. Once you have registered you can edit your personal details in your account.
When you use the Website we will also collect your IP address.
How we use the information we collect
We use the information we collect to:
- provide and administer the Website and related services and manage internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes, and to develop the Website and our products and services.
- generate an overall audience profile of visitors using the Website. We use this information to assist us in developing relevant content on the Website as well as encouraging automotive trade advertisers to place adverts for their stock or promotions on the Website.
- provide customers who have opted-in to receive marketing communications, with relevant and timely offers by email (including where customers have supplied their insurance renewal date information and/or vehicle ownership details).
- support our ‘Send to Mobile’ functionality. This allows visitors to our Website to send details of vehicles for sale to their mobile phone.
- identify the location of visitors, to block disruptive or fraudulent use, to establish the number of visits from different countries.
Lawful basis we use to process your information
We process your data based on the lawful bases set out below. We may process information you provide based on more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using it:
- Contract: To enter into a contract with you and fulfil our contractual obligations to you (e.g. to publish your advert). This processing is necessary for us to provide the service you have requested including registering and managing your account and providing service updates and our support services.
- Consent: To provide information and take actions in relation to services which you have opted-in to receive. This includes where you specifically request for your details to be passed onto a third party (e.g where you are making an enquiry regarding test drive or a vehicle for sale) or where you opt-in to receive relevant marketing communications from us (e.g. industry news and offers).
- Legal Obligation: Where processing is necessary to comply with legal or statutory requirements on us. This may include cooperating with police in relation to their investigations.
- Legitimate interest: To improve our Website, products and/or services, understand how visitors and customers use our Website, products and/or services, undertake market research and inform our general marketing, to run our business and maintain the security or our Website and services for you, us and other Website visitors and customers.
Where consent is required for us to process certain types of your personal data, it must be clearly given. You may give us your consent to receive our marketing communications and/or when you use the Website to request services provided by dealers.
Where you have given consent for Electric Cars Trader to process your personal data you may withdraw consent at any time by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. We will cease processing your data based on that consent but this does not affect any processing we have undertaken at any time before withdrawal.
If you have given consent for your details to be passed to a dealer or other third party your data may already have been used by them to respond to your request before we can action your consent withdrawal. In this event, you will need to contact them to withdraw your consent to their use of your personal data.
4. Disclosure of your information
Electric Cars Trader will not pass on your personal data to third parties except as set out in this policy or with your consent. We may disclose your personal information to third parties for the following purpose(s) and in the following circumstances as part of our processing activities:
- We will send your personal information to dealers, vehicle manufacturers and relevant third parties to enable them to provide you with the services and products that you have requested or consented to receive details of via the Website or the Apps. In certain circumstances, vehicle manufacturers and other relevant third parties may subsequently transfer, process and store your personal information outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) for their business and administration purposes. in accordance with their own privacy policies. If you have queries or require more information on how these third parties use information, including transfers outside of the EEA, please read their privacy policies or contact them.
- We may use service providers to help us run the Website or services available on the Website, some of whom may be based outside the EEA. Some of our webpages use plugins from third party platforms (such as the ‘Facebook Recommend’ or Facebook Gestures’ function). Information about your visit to the Website may be collected by these third party providers on these pages. If you browse these pages whilst still also logged in to your account on the third party platform, information collected by the third party may be connected to your account on the third party platform. If you have queries or require more information on how these third parties use information, including transfers outside of the EEA, please read their privacy policies or contact them.
- Where we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce our terms and conditions and any other agreements.
- If we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case Electric Cars Trader may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, personal data held by us about our customers may be disclosed to the prospective buyer.
- We may share your personal information with our group companies.
- We may share any information that we collect with parties including: our legal and professional advisors, the police, other public or private sector agencies, governmental or representative bodies (which may include insurance companies, finance companies, automotive advertising companies and/or other agencies) in accordance with the relevant legislation for the purposes of the prevention or detection of offences, and/or the apprehension or prosecution of offenders. .
We are not responsible for any use of your personal data by these parties except where they act as our processor.
5. Where we store your personal data
All information you provide to us is stored securely within the EU, and not transferred outside the EEA unless specifically detailed.
Certain parties to whom we disclose your personal data may transfer your data outside of the EEA after we disclose it to them as part of their business and administration activities (see above, Disclosure of your information). We are not responsible for any use of your personal data by these parties except where they act as our processor. If you have queries or require more information on how these third parties use your information, including such transfers outside of the EEA, please read their privacy policies or contact them.
Electric Cars Trader uses strict procedures and security features designed to prevent any unauthorised access to your data that we hold.
6. Retention period
Electric Cars Trader will process personal data for as long as necessary to fulfil the purpose we collected it for, including the purpose of legal, accounting and reporting requirements, and for as long as necessary for the prevention and detection of criminal activity. The period for which we process and store the personal data for varies depending on the use you make of the Website and the products and/or services we offer. Where you register an account or place an advert we will retain your data for as long as your account and/or advert is live and a period after your account is closed or advert ends to enable us to satisfy our legal, accounting and reporting requirements.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your data.
In some circumstances we may anonymise your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
7. Your rights as a data subject
At any point while we are in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:
- Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. In the event that Auto Trader refuses your request under rights of access, we will provide you with a reason as to why
- Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that we hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete.
- Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances you can ask for the data we hold about you to be erased from our records.
- Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply to have a right to restrict the processing.
- Right of portability – in certain circumstances you have the right to have the data we hold about you transferred to another organisation.
- Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing such as direct marketing, automated processing or profiling.
- Right to complain to the supervisory authority – you have the right to complain as outlined in paragraph 8 below.
8. Complaints and Contact
If you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by Auto Trader (or third parties as described above), or how your complaint has been handled, in the first instance please email your concerns to email@example.com. You also have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the UK supervisory authority which is the Information Commissioner’s Office and can be contacted via the details at www.ico.org.uk.
If you have any questions regarding the use of your personal data please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
What are cookies?
To get the best Electric Cars Trader experience, you need to have cookies enabled. If you don’t wish to enable cookies, you will still be able to use the site but you may not be able to use some of the essential features we offer such as placing an advert so we recommend you keep them enabled.
Can I opt out?
We do have relationships with carefully-selected and monitored suppliers who may also set cookies during your visit to Electric Cars Trader; they will show you different products and services based on what you appear to be interested in. If you’d like to opt out, please go to the Network Advertising Initiative website (opens in a new window – please note that we’re not responsible for the content of external websites)
To make full use of the features on our site you will need to accept cookies, as we can only provide you with certain personalised features of this website by using them.
If your computer is configured to accept cookies we will be able to provide time saving functionality such as:
- The ability to pre-fill the search form with your postcode, thus preventing the need to input it each time you want to perform a search.
- The ability to login to your Electric Cars Tarder account and place adverts on the site.
However, if you’d prefer to restrict, block or delete cookies from electriccarstrader.co.uk, or any other website, you can use your browser to do this. Each browser is different, so check the ‘Help’ menu of your particular browser to learn how to change your cookie preferences.
For further information on cookies or for details on how to delete them or refuse their installation on your computer, please visit http://www.aboutcookies.org/